Birkbeck is offering a limited number of scholarships to international students enrolling in the Autumn 2021 intake on a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate taught programme.
- The scholarship will be applied as a discount to the tuition fee for your first year of study only.
Eligibility: To be eligible you need to meet all of the following conditions:
- you are an international overseas tuition fee-paying student holding an unconditional offer on a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate taught programme offered by Birkbeck, starting in Autumn 2021. You must have been assessed as an international fee-payer to qualify.
- you are ordinarily resident of a country in the relevant region
- you are self-funded
- you are classified as an 'International' tuition fee payer.
- Only one scholarship award can be offered per student and the scholarship cannot normally be held in conjunction with any other scholarship.
How to apply: Once you have received an unconditional offer from Birkbeck, you can apply using the online application form for the region where you ordinarily reside.
- You must be a national of, and living in, one of the following territories: India, Pakistan, Bangladesh.
- You must be a national of, and living in, one of the following territories: Brunei, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong SAR, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Macau SAR, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam.
- You must be a national of, and living in, one of the following territories: Turkey, UAE, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, Bahrain, Kuwait, Tunisia.
- You must be a national of, and living in, Canada or the United States.
- You must be a national of, and living in, any Latin America or Caribbean country with the exception of Brazil. If you are a Brazilian national you might be eligible for the Birkbeck Global Future Scholarship (see above).
- You must be a national of, and living in, one of the following territories: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (Brazzaville), Congo (Democratic Republic), Côte d'Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, eSwatini, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tanzania, The Gambia, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Successful scholars will be selected on the basis of a statement of no more than 4000 characters in support of the application. The statement should detail why they are the ideal candidate for the scholarship.
- If you are successfully awarded this scholarship, you will be notified by e-mail. You must complete a payment of a £200 non-refundable deposit within the timeframe stated on your award letter (typically five working days).
- You must successfully enrol for the Autumn 2021 intake to receive the award, and no later than 8 October 2021.
- First deadline: 31 May 2021
- Second deadline: 15 July 2021 (1 August 2021 for Sub Saharan Africa only)
- Students selected in the first round will be contacted at the beginning of June 2021
- Students who have applied by the first deadline (31 May) do not need to submit a new application to be considered for the second round.
General terms and conditions:
- Birkbeck has sole discretion to assign, vary or withdraw this award.
- This award is only available to students enrolling to Birkbeck for the first time.
- This award excludes sponsorship students, current students and those returning on the second or third year of the same course.
- This award excludes short courses and part-time courses.
- As a Birkbeck Scholar you will be occasionally required to attend College events, including digital events, to represent the student body at Birkbeck. This might include talking to College stakeholders about the impact the funds have made on your studies. You might also be required to provide short progress reports on your studies (in the region of 250-300 words) at the end of each term.
- If the student fails to enrol by 8 October 2021 the scholarship fund will be cancelled in full.